Next on the menu for our Veganuary NPD tasting session, The Hungry Guy put together a shredded Vegan BBQ Jackfruit on top of vegan sweet potato mac n ‘cheese’.
Each vegan recipe can be enjoyed together or separately, however, we loved the mixture of the tangy BBQ jackfruit, with the creamy sauce of the mac n ‘cheese’.
Jackfruit as a meat replacement
The texture of jackfruit, is similar to that of shredded pork, offering great texture to plant-based dishes. It can also come in chunks, meatballs or in a variety of flavours including BBQ, Indian, Thai or Mexican flavours.
Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Recipe
- 400g tinned, pulled Jackfruit
- 100g Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 150g Apple Cider Vinegar
- 150g Dark Brown Sugar
- 150g Water
- 1 Tsp English Mustard
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tsp Smoked Garlic
- 2 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Chipotle Paste
- ½ Tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Marmite
- 1 Tbsp Corn Flour mixed with 1 Tbsp Water
- ¼ Tsp Browning
Let’s give it a go!
- Add all ingredients, apart from jackfruit, corn flour/water mix, to a pan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly
- Once simmering and all ingredients are dissolved together, blend with a stick blender. Add the corn flour/water slurry mix and blend with the stick blender to ensure it is distributed evenly
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes, constantly stirring, until the mixture has thickened and the corn flour cooked out.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste
- When ready to serve, reheat the sauce and stir the jackfruit through
Sweet Potato ‘Cheese’ Sauce Recipe
- IQF Sweet Potato
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic puree
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 150g Soya Milk, unsweetened
- 100g Cashew Nuts, soaked on cold water overnight
- 2 Tsp English Mustard
- 300g Whole Wheat Pasta
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch of Salt
Let’s give it a go!
- Coat the sweet potato in oil and roast in a pre-heated oven at 180C/Fan 170C for 15 minutes until completely soft
- Once the sweet potato is cooked place in the blender along with all the remaining ingredients
- Blend until smooth – adjust the texture of the sauce with water or soya milk if required
- Taste and adjust the seasoning
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil – add the pasta and cook as per the packet instructions
- Once cooked, stir the sauce through the pasta and coat well
- Place in an oven proof dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- To serve, heat the BBQ jackfruit and spoon over the top of the mac n cheese
If you are interested in any of our flavour enhancing ingredients for your plant-based recipes, talk to the team on +44 (0)1386 761555 or email@example.com.