Focaccia is a firm favourite at Brusco. This bread is the perfect accompaniment to soups, pasta and other yummy dishes – or to be eaten on its own if you love it as much as we do! This delicious focaccia recipe is vegetarian, uses pre-prepared ingredients and contains low levels of sodium.
All ingredients highlighted in green are available through Brusco Food Group. Interested? Talk to the team today!
Reducing Sodium Levels
Why should you reduce the sodium? Exceeding your daily allowance of sodium can hurt your health and has been linked to higher blood pressure and heart disease.
Shocking amounts of our food, including bread, are filled with excessive amounts of sodium, making it tricky to keep levels lower to suit the industry’s upcoming salt reduction targets and HFSS regulations. It can be a difficult task to reformulate successfully without comprising flavour.
What ingredients help to decrease sodium intake? Food products containing our Smart Salt® have lower levels of sodium compared to products containing traditional salt.
Smart Salt® is a 1:1 sodium replacement technology which can help reduce levels by up to 60% in several applications.
Research has shown that Smart Salt® not only helps lower sodium levels in food products, but also replicates the taste, texture, and functionality of regular salt – so no need to compromise the deliciousness of your dish!
Low Sodium Focaccia Recipe
- 500g flour
- 3 tsp Smart Salt®
- 7g yeast
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 390-400ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp Sugar
LET’S GET COOKING!
- In a bowl combine water, yeast and sugar – stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and Smart Salt® in a separate bowl and slowly pour in the water mix.
- Mix until no dry bits show.
- Transfer to a large oiled bowl and cover with a warm damp towel and leave for 4 hours or until doubled in size.
- Transfer to a greased and oiled baking dish and spread out. Leave for another hour or until it has doubled in size again.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled baking dish and stretch it out to the edges.
- Mix the garlic puree and olive oil in a dish.
- Use your fingers to make dimples then drizzle over the garlic oil mixture
- Spoon over the caramelised onion, slightly pressing some of the onions into the dough.
- Preheat oven to 200c (fan).
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
Talk to the team
Interested in our caramelised onions, garlic puree, Smart Salt® and ready-cooked range? Talk to the team today and see how we can help reduce your sodium levels. Contact us at 01386 761 555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.