The team at Brusco Food Group believes it so important to not only sell great quality ingredients, but to also learn about them and understand how they are used. This is why we booked an evening at The Foodworks Cookery School for team training.
Nestled in the Cotswolds, Foodworks Cookery School offers a variety of cooking courses, wine tasting sessions and private hire for corporate events and parties. With beautiful views from their huge windows and plenty of space to be socially distant, it’s a great location to learn, cook and eat.
Throughout the evening we cooked three delicious Thai recipes including this chicken satay recipe, created by Chef Manapai.
Why not give it a go!
Ingredients for Chicken Satay Recipe
- 200g Chicken
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- Pinch of white sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Splash of whisky
- 12 – 16 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
Chicken Satay Paste
- 4 tbsp chopped red onion
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp ground roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds roasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds roasted
Hot Chilli Dipping sauce
- 5 – 6 long red chillies, deseeded and rinsed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
First step, the paste!
- Grind the paste ingredients together in a petal and mortar, to make it easier add one ingredient at a time
Now for the chicken
- Slice the chicken into strips of around 5cm x 2cm
- Mix the paste with the coconut milk, turmeric, condensed milk, palm sugar, white sugar, fish sauce and whisky and work into the meat until absorbed
- Put to one side to marinade for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge
While you wait… let’s make the dipping sauce
- Puree the chillies with salt and shallots
- Season with vinegar and sugar, taste as you go
This should create a sweet but sour sauce
Time to put together your skewers
- Thread your 3 pieces of chicken onto each skewer, pushing down tightly. Repeat until chicken is all used up.
- Grill under a high heat sprinkling excess satay sauce as it cooks
Serve with dipping sauce on the side
This chicken satay recipe serves 6 – 8, but you can adapt the ingredients to suit whatever size party you want.
Many of the ingredients are available bulk bought through Brusco Food Group. Simply talk to our team today on 01386 761555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and see what Asian Ingredients, coconut milk and spices are available in our range.