The perfect winter risotto doesn’t exi… oh wait, it does! This Chestnut and Blue Cheese risotto is the ultimate winter indulgence.
The creamy, salty, stimulating flavour of the blue cheese works perfectly with the refreshing hit of parsley and the earthy flavour of the mushrooms.
Let’s add chestnuts
The addition of chestnuts to this recipe offers great texture and an added nutty flavour. Which breaks up the strength of the cheese oozing throughout the rice.
It goes to show chestnuts aren’t just for Christmas and offers so much more to recipes than only being used in stuffing mixes.
If you are a consumer and looking to try this recipe, our European chestnuts can be found in Waitrose.
Risottos are renowned for being time-consuming, they must be done low and slow to get the rice plump and texturally perfect.
Save yourself some time by making sure your other ingredients are prepared ahead of time. This dish has pre-caramelised onions, pre-roasted chestnuts, and pre-chopped mushrooms, saving you time and resources.
Chestnut and Blue Cheese Risotto Ingredients
Serves a generous portion for 2 people.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter (for cooking)
- 150g caramelised onion
- 200g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- 150g pre-cooked chopped chestnuts
- 50g mushrooms
- 1200ml vegetable stock (keep lightly simmering as you add)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 100g butter, diced, to finish
- 150g creamy blue cheese, diced (Gorgonzola or St Agur are perfect for this dish)
- 100g parmesan, grated
- Fried wild mushrooms
Let’s give it a go!
- Heat the oil and the butter in a pan on medium heat
- Fry off the mushrooms until they are softened
- Add the rice and sauté until the grains start to open up
- Pour in the wine and stir continuously until the wine has evaporated
- Sprinkle in the chestnuts and the onions and mix in well
- Start adding in the stock slowly, one ladle at a time, making sure the moisture is absorbed before adding the next scoop
- Once the rice is cooked to your desired texture remove it from the heat
- Add most of the parsley (leaving some for garnishing)
- Stir in your butter and cheese
- Top with any remaining wild mushrooms, parmesan, and parsley
Talk to the team
If you are interested in hearing more about how chestnuts can enhance your product, talk to the team today at 01386 761 555 or email@example.com.