Festive sausage rolls are the ultimate Christmas party finger food; they are savoury, tasty and perfect hot or cold.
This recipe offers a couple twists to really ramp up the festive feel, and according to Jamie Oliver, they were the ‘best sausage rolls’ he’s ever tasted!
Ingredients for your Festive Sausage Rolls
- 8 good quality pork sausages
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 50g cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 20g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg
Let’s give it a go!
It’s all in the prep…
- Pre-heat your over to 190C degrees
- Take your sausage meat to bring to room temperature
- Chop up your chestnuts, thyme and cranberries
Time to mix
- Squeeze out the sausage meat into a bowl
- Mash ingredients together until well mixed, season and leave to one side
This is where the magic happens
- Roll out your pastry in a oven proof tray
- Form your sausage meat mixture into two long sausage shapes and fold over the outside edges of the pastry to cover the mixture. (Cranberry sauce and mustard seeds are also delicious, so feel free to add this to your creation)
- Seal the rolls with a clean fork. You should have two long sausage rolls on your tray.
- Cut to whatever size you like.
- Brush with egg wash or a little milk.
- Bake for about 25 mins or until golden brown.
Time to serve
- If still hot, put on a rack so the pastry doesn’t go soggy
- Serve with a sauce of your choice