Chicken lo mein is a Chinese dish containing stirred egg noodles. Usually served with vegetables and either meat or seafood. Traditionally you will find beef, chicken, pork, or shrimp as part of the dish.
This Lo Mein recipe can use fresh or IQF vegetables, to help maintain a longer shelf life.
How to make an Asian style dish allergen free
To help make Asian recipes such as this chicken lo mein allergen free, swap your soy sauce with coconut aminos.
This fantastic ingredient has the same umami flavour but is produced using fermented coconut palm sap rather than soybeans which are a known allergen.
Certain noodles also contain allergens such as eggs, so swap for alternatives and always read the packaging.
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
- 400g noodles
- 300g chicken
- 4 spring onions split into greens and whites
- 150g beansprouts
- 50g carrot thinly sliced
- 50g sugar snap peas
- 60 ml coconut aminos + 40-50ml to finish
- 1 teaspoon garlic puree
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 heaped tsp 60ml water
- ½ tsp Smart Salt®
Let’s give it a go!
- Heat a wok and when it starts to smoke add in the sliced chicken, season with Smart Salt® and pepper.
- Whilst this is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- After 5 minutes of cooking and the chicken is done, remove from the pan.
- Add a little more oil if needed and then add in the vegetables aside from the beansprouts and green parts of the onions.
- Stir fry this for 5 minutes, continually stirring.
- Add in the chicken and noodles and mix.
- Add in the sauce and stir immediately.
- Mix 1 heaped tsp of cornflour with about 1 ½ tsps. of water into a slurry and add this to the wok. It will thicken the sauce
- Add in the beansprouts and green onions. Season with Smart Salt® and another 40 – 50ml of coconut aminos (add it gradually to your taste)
- Drizzle with toasted sesame oil (optional/not gluten free) and serve.
Talk to the team
Interested in our allergen free alternatives? Talk to the team today and see how we can help make your range more inclusive. Contact us on 01386 761 555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.