Bring black beans to life with a delicious combination of herbs, spices and tomatoes, creating this authentic Caribbean black bean curry. Perfectly paired with rice, it’s quick and easy, but very effective. Curated by The Hungry Guy, this recipe is the perfect choice for a mid-week dinner or as part of a Caribbean feast.
Plant-based and accessible
This black bean curry is dairy-free, gluten-free and meat-free, making it accessible to many consumers. To make it vegan-friendly, you can swap out the honey with maple syrup to add that required sweetness.
IQF vegetables for smoother production
We have used IQF vegetables in this recipe to reduce the amount of preparation needed. Our IQF vegetables are prepared and frozen ahead of time. Ambient options are also available if frozen storage space is an issue.
Ingredients for Caribbean Black Bean Curry
- 150g IQF white onion or cooked onion
- 2 Tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tsp garlic puree
- 5 Tsp dried thyme
- 5 Tsp dried bay leaf powder
- 5 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp coriander seeds
- 5 Tsp allspice
- 5 Red scotch bonnet, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 800g chopped tomatoes.
- 3x 400g tin black beans, drained.
- 200g IQF fire-roasted red peppers
- 2 Limes, juiced
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Cooking oil
- Smart Salt® and pepper
Let’s give it a go!
- Heat oil in a pan, add the onion, scotch bonnet and coriander seeds, and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and black beans and bring to a simmer.
- Add the dried thyme, bay leaf, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice & soy sauce.
- Bring back to a simmer and stir through the fire-roasted peppers.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly until the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened. If it is too thick, add a drop of water.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir through the honey and lime juice and adjust the seasoning to taste.
If you are interested in talking to the team about our IQF vegetables, beans or herbs and spices, get in touch today on 01386 761 555 or email@example.com.