As ingredients suppliers, we are constantly trying to find cost-saving, health-enhancing ways to improve our customer’s products.
Since the end of last year, we have been working with a development chef, The Hungry Guy monthly to focus on key cuisines to help lower sodium levels and production time, whilst enhancing flavours and creating exciting recipes.
Reducing Sodium Levels in Ready Meals
Ready meals such as beef koftes can be high in sodium, due to the high levels of seasoning involved. This low-sodium beef kofte (kofta) recipe is made using our selection of herbs, spices and low-sodium salt, Smart Salt®.
Using Smart Salt® instead of regular salt helps keeps the same great flavour, whilst taking out the unnecessary sodium.
We have also used our cooked caramelised onion product instead of fresh onion to add a deliciously sweet flavour but drastically reduce the production time, helping save on production costs.
Paired with a fresh salad and pittas, these beef koftes are perfect for your customer’s upcoming summer BBQs.
Ingredients for Beef Kofte
- 750g Beef Mince
- 100g Cooked Caramelised Onions
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 0.5 Tsp Smart Salt®
- 1 Tsp Dried Mint
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 0.5 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
Let’s give it a go!
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Pinch off a small amount of mix and flatten into a burger patty shape.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat some oil and cook the patty for 2 minutes on each side until cooked – set aside to cool until safe to eat.
- Taste the patty and adjust the mixture seasoning as required – adding salt, spices or onions as required.
- Taking a golf ball-sized piece of the mix at a time, shape the mixture into barrels (should make around 15)
- If using a BBQ – skewer each barrel, coat in oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, over direct heat until golden and cooked through.
- Heat some cooking oil in a pan on medium. Once hot, add the koftes and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with some pitta breads, dips and salad.
If you are currently focusing your efforts on lowering sodium levels in your products, talk to the team today at 01386 761 555 or email@example.com to see how Smart Salt® can help.